Kidney Bean Kiev

This recipe is a real favorite in our house.  It was one of the very first things I learned to cook years ago when I made the transition to being vegetarian and from the very first vegetarian cookbook I bought myself.  At the time, I actually didn't realize there was such a marked difference between the all different types of vegetarianism (there's even a new term now: flexitarian?)  I was, in the beginning, what you call an Ovo-lacto vegetarian (though I rarely ever ate any egg).  This recipe substitutes the meat with beans but called for both dairy and eggs.  I was comfortable with that because I didn't yet know the dire effects that even the dairy and egg industry have.  Once I became aware and chose to be vegan,  I knew I'd have to find a way to adapt it or give it up altogether.  Then the GLUTEN issue hit our household and I was forced once again to make some changes with this recipe.  
I opted for adapting it as I was pretty confident I could produce something just as yummy minus those ingredients.  After all, as I find with most recipes, it's the trouble you go to to season and flavor the dish that really matters. 
I mean, what doesn't taste good when its 
drenched in a garlicky herb butter?!

Best part? It was totally easy!  And so it is something I am back to making quite often (and each time I change it up just a bit too).

I present to you, the vegan version of Chicken Kiev.  Bean patties take the place of the chicken.  Topped with garlic and herb butter and coated in bread crumbs, this version is not just as delicious but more so! 

Kidney Bean Kiev





Ingredients:
(makes 4 large or 6 small servings)


GARLIC BUTTER
8 tbsp. soy margarine 
3 fresh garlic cloves (crushed/pressed)
1 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley


BEAN PATTIES
1 lb. 7 oz. canned red kidney beans*
1 1/4 c. GF bread crumbs (for my breading recipe see HERE)
2 tbsp. soy margarine
1 leek, chopped (optional) or 1 c. of sweet onion
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 tbsp. chopped parsley
Egg replacer equal to 1 egg, beaten
salt and pepper


canola or safflower oil for shallow frying of the patties




To make the garlic "butter", put the margarine, garlic and parsley in a bowl and blend together with a wooden spoon.  My advice is not to work the mixture too much as soy margarine is quicker to soften given there is less fat to bind it together.

The following step can go two ways:
1. Place the mixture on a sheet of wax paper, roll into a cigar shape, and chill in the fridge until ready to use OR 
2. divide the mixture into however many equal parts you are preparing (4-6 patties) and roll each into a ball. Cover and refridgerate until ready to use.



Now on to our patties:


Using a potato masher (or very sturdy large fork), mash the beans in a mixing bowl and stir in 3/4 c. of your bread crumbs until thoroughly blended.


 Melt the soy margarine in a skillet and saute the onion (or leek) and celery for 3-4 minutes, stirring.  misture



Add the bean/crumb mixture to the skillet, together with the parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook just as long as it takes to mix well.  Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.



Shape the bean mixture into 4 equal sized ovals 
(I was able to make 5, one for each member of the family but have also been able to get as many as 6).



 If you've used the cigar shape method, slice your roll into the correct amount of slices per patty OR if you've opted for the pre-measured "butter" balls, simply move onto the next step. 

Creating a small cavity without breaking the patty, place your butter in the center of each bean patty and mold the bean mixture around the butter to encase it completely.





Dip each patty first into the "egg" mixture and then roll in the remaining bread crumbs.



Heat a little oil in a skillet and fry the patties over med-high heat, turning to ensure all the sides get fried, for about 7-10 minutes, or until golden brown.



Serve at once.  



I place mine on a bed of quinoa or brown rice to "sop" up the buttery goodness and serve with a simple mixed greens salad. 


Enjoy!

As always . . . 

Love and light,

Amber


and this:


For more information click on the NAVS widget to the right of this post  . . . 











*I recommend using Eden Foods Organic as they are the only company I am aware of that uses BPA free lining in their canned foods.  



Comments

  1. You completed a few fine points there. I did a search on the subject and found nearly all persons will go along with with your blog. vegan party treats

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Many Types of Vegetarian Diets. ... The term “flexitarian” was coined to describe semi-vegetarians or those who eat a mostly vegetarian diet but occasionally eat meat. ... Non-vegetarian refers to people who do not eat meat or dairy products but do eat eggs.
    Have a look at this videos they are funny to watch Types of vegetarian .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts