Vegan Shepherds Pie



Comfort food, it's so important.  

With my household of mixed eaters, I often try to vegan-ize old family favorites so as to minimize my time as a short order cook and create something that everyone will love while sneaking in healthier ingredients.  The following recipe is the result of such an experiment... and I must say that I made it twice (because the cheese sauce was double what I needed and because my family begged me to make more!)

Need I say, the leftovers did not make it through the night both times and my kids are asking me to make it again, a few days later......

I always start by boiling the potatoes:


Boil 5-6 medium red potatoes cubed with skins on until fork tender.


Saute til tender:
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1/2 onion diced
3 cloves garlic minced
1/2 pkg mushrooms chopped


Two key products to become familiar with are:

Veggie Protein Crumbles (I used Lightlife Smart Ground, it gives the texture of hamburger in recipes.)

TVP = textured vegetable protein (yes, it looks like rice crispies but is full of nutrients, adds protein and also thickens sauces.... I use it in my vegan biscuits & gravy recipe and chili too!)  


measure out 1 cup frozen corn & 1 cup frozen peas


To the sauté, add:
1/2 package veggie crumbles
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen peas 
continue to saute til blended
*use vegetable broth as needed to soften veggies and blend ingredients as they cook


Previously, I made a cheese sauce adapted from Amber's Creamy Mac 'n Cheese recipe:
3 Tbsp Earth Balance
1 Tbsp flour
(sautéd as a rue but not darkened, 
then thin out and blend with:)
1 cup Almond Milk
(add:)
2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
2 shakes Tumeric
1/4 cup Vegan Parmesan Cheese**
1 pkg Cheddar Daiya
(stir til incorporated/melted)

*Only half of this sauce recipe is needed for the Shepherds Pie.



To the sauté add:
1/2 the above cheese sauce recipe
1/2 cup TVP
vegetable broth as needed



Briefly simmer, maybe five minutes.



Drain potatoes, mash with 3 tsp earth balance and 1/2 cup vegetable broth and set aside.



Press sauté into a 2 quart pyrex
(no need to grease or anything)



Top with mashed potatoes.



Bake at 375 for 20 minutes to brown.



Serve and Enjoy!

**Vegan Parmesan Cheese: put in food processor; 1 cup almonds, 1 cup nutritional yeast, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp salt & pulse to desired consistency!

I hope your family loves this recipe as much as mine does.  It was a successful experiment with food and love! 

In light and love,
Mell

Comments

Popular Posts