Vegan Potato-Corn Enchiladas




Vegan Potato-Corn Enchiladas

During the last couple of years, my peppercorn allergy has become anaphylactic in nature which keeps me eating at home for the most part.  Even while home cooking is safer than eating out, peppercorn is still hidden in most pre-packaged foods, breads, salad dressings and sauces.  The dreaded *spices labeling further reduces the items I can safely use, adding to the items I must make from scratch if I want to eat them.  While not commonly known, I have found through internet searches that I am not alone with this allergy!  If you have this allergy or are cooking for someone with this allergy - BEWARE COMPOUND SPICES such as chili powder, five spice, pumpkin spice, and garam masala as these typically contain black or white or pink peppercorn!  Typically, I make these compound spices by hand to omit the peppercorn.  Luckily, I found a pre-made "pepper-free" chili powder and use it liberally because 
I LOVE MEXICAN FOOD AND CHILI!
I was craving potatoes, corn and Mexican food which birthed this recipe.

First things first, I made enchilada sauce from scratch using this recipe:
(of course, I used vegetable broth which I increased to 2 1/2 cups)

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/red-enchilada-sauce/

Talk about heavenly scents filling the house! This is tastier than any canned sauce I had ever tried pre-allergy days. My boys kept popping their heads into the kitchen asking what was for dinner and when would it be ready!




Next, peel and cube 4-5 medium/large potatoes.  
Boil for 5-7 minutes, just tender but still firm - slightly undercooked.
Drain and set aside.




In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil
saute:
1 onion chopped
5 cloves garlic minced
1/4 cup vegetable broth
for approximately 5 minutes until soft,

stir in:
1 can green chilies
1 tsp chili powder 
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp cumin
saute for a minute or so to release aromas,

stir in:
10oz bag frozen corn
1 can sliced black olives
drained, boiled potatoes
1/4 cup vegetable broth
continue cooking for a minute or two to appropriate consistency.



In a 9x13 dish, ladle 1/2 cup enchilada sauce



Feeling too lazy to fill and roll these Amazing hand made corn tortillas, I decided to make this lasagna style by cutting them in half and layering 8 slices on top of the sauce in the dish, then the potato filling, 1 package Daiya Mozzarella, 8 slices tortillas....




Top with the rest of the enchilada sauce.




Bake in 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes!




Serve with refried beans, guacamole or your choice of sides!

As the weather grows colder, our dishes become heartier and our hearts warmer.


In Light and Love,

Mell




Comments

Popular Posts