Creamy Avocado Pasta on the Fly

This dish was a  simple dish to come out of a "stuck in the house" sort of day.  It can get pretty cold one in the good ole northeast. I mean, like, wicked cold at a projected high of 18 degrees. That was the case on the day I made this.  While travel is possible,you really tend to limit the amount of time you spend outside the warmth of your home. At least, I do.  So for lunch it was up to me, the mama of the house, to come up with something yummy op for lunch limited to what we had on hand in the house. Anyone who is frequent reader of our blog will know this is not a rare thing for me. I kind of welcome the challenge and find it really lights a fire in the culinary creative part of me.

Anyway, with the following on hand:
Two almost too ripe avocados
Half a zucchini, half an orange pepper and half a yellow one
Jarred sundried tomatoes packed in olive oil
About 1/4 of a small bag of frozen sweet peas 

I had heard of avocado pasta, seen it come across my Pinterest boards a couple times.  It always appealed to me as we are big avocado lovers in our house.  Must be the Californian connection, heehee.  And to be honest, the idea of using pureed avocado in a warm sauce really intrigued me.

A few notes, before I share:
~The avocado sauce was a bit on the bland side for me so I think I'd like to play a bit more with "doctoring" it up.  The first time I try out a new recipe I try not to do too much as I don't even really know what I'm getting myself into.  But it was still tasty enough to share, for sure.
~For the most part, I was really impressed with the smooth creamy texture and natural buttery flavor of this sauce; I think that's probably what makes this dish.
~And then there's the ease of it.  A very simple dish to make.
~And last but not least is the nutritional benefits.
            Avocados are incredibly nutritious, packed full of vitamins (and both magnesium and potassium).  They are low-carb and loaded with heart-healthy fat (mostly the fatty acid, oleic) and are an excellent detoxifier due to being high in fiber. Some claim they prevent cancer and help with arthritis too.  But all around, they're just well worth eating.


With that being said, let's get this started!

Prepare your pasta according to the directions on the package.
{This recipe makes enough sauce for one pound.}

Assemble the following veggies (or veggies of your choice): 
*Remember I was simply going with what I had available in my house. 

Veggie Mixture:

1 cup of frozen organic sweet peas
1/4 cup of jarred sundried tomatoes in olive oil*
1/4 cup each of yellow and orange bell pepper
1 clove of fresh pressed garlic





Using the oil from the sundried tomatoes, I went ahead and got both the sundried tomatoes and garlic sauteeing. Then tossed in my peppers and peas.  Cook until fully heated through and tender.  
*If you are using sundried tomatoes jarred with water, simply add a bit of olive oil to your pan beforehand. 




Creamy Avocado Sauce:
Two ripe avocados (skinned and pits removed)
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic (pressed or diced)
1-2 tsp. of sea salt
pepper to taste
2 tsp. of dried basil (1 tablespoon if you have fresh)
1/2 cup of olive oil


Blend all of the ingredients above, pouring in the olive oil as it goes, in a food processor until creamy and smooth. 

Toss your pasta, veggie mixture and sauce together. 

I topped mine with a bit of finely chopped pecans. Walnuts or shelled hemp seed would be a delicious addition, as well.  I find that the buttery sweet texture of the nuts makes for an excellent alternative to parmesan topping.  Should you wish to make your own vegan parmesan check out the following links:









Love and Light to all!


Amber

Comments

Popular Posts