Experimenting with Raw: Thai Spring Rolls Part 2

Hey all! 
I'm back as promised to share those side dishes I created to go with the Thai Spring Rolls.  If you missed that post check it out

All I knew when I started this dinner was that I wanted these Spring Rolls; so yummy, so refreshing and in their RAW state, absolutely the most nutritious and clean.  
 But I also knew that the rolls themselves would never be enough for our large family. So proud at my RAW accomplishment, I set out to finish off the meal.  What I ended up with was: 

Snow peas with curried almonds
Sesame stir-fried mung beans with scapes, onions and carrots
Rice noodle salad
And a side of Edamame


We'll start with the 
Snow peas with curried almonds



This recipe was inspired and improvised from one I found in my 
"Everyday Raw" book for Curried Cashews. 





Ingredients for coating your almonds:
(the original recipe was for a much larger quantity so I had to improvise)


For about 1 cup of almonds I used:
1 tsp. agave
2-3 tbsp. maple syruup
1 tsp. curry powder
 a dash of salt
a dash of cayenne (optional)




Coat your almonds generously (I added a bit more curry) and place on lightly greased baking sheet.  I used coconut oil on mine.



Because this recipe was actually a raw one, the nuts were to be placed in a dehydrator for 2 days.  
Instead: Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes, turning your almonds every so often so as not to scorch.  Remove and let cool.




I love the Thai Kitchen products and swear by them when I need a quick approach to my Thai meals.
Both of these products above were used in the next step of this dish:


I steamed my snow pea pods until tender, then tossed into a cast iron pan and over med heat, dissolved about 1 tsp. of red Thai chili paste and about 1-2 tbsp. of coconut cream (not the milk, just the cream found at the top of the can). Then tossed in my almonds.


Sesame stir-fried mung beans with scapes, onions and carrots




A simple stir-fry blend in the wok.  
I started by sauteeing my scapes and carrot shreds until tender then adding in my mung bean sprouts and green onion.  I only sauteed these for a matter of minutes as I tend to like my mung bean sprouts "al dente".
A light drizzle of sesame oil, a splash of tamari and a sprinkling of black sesame seeds and this dish was complete.







Rice noodle salad




Rice Stick noodles aka rice vermicelli (not to be confused with bean thread) is made from simply a rice flour and water paste so they are a great gluten-free option. I cooked the thin variety and it is as simple as soaking the noodles in warm water anywhere from 2-5 minutes.  Then toss with a little oil of your choice to keep from sticking and garnish if you so desire.  I kept it simple with a bit of sesame oil and scallion on mine.




Edamame 


 Since the frozen edamame you buy in the store is generally ready to go (pre-cooked and salted), all you need to do is thaw it.  If you forget to get yours ready ahead of time (as I did), a minute or two in the steamer works great too.



and Seaweed Salad 



From one of our favorite local Asian restaurants.


Love and light,

Amber

Comments

Popular Posts