Birthday Cake!


This recipe was definitely a work in progress, make it up as you go along sort of experiment.  Translation, I had only a slight clue as to what I was doing~ Haha

I really wasn't sure whether my attempt would be a success or not but to tell you the truth was quite prepared to share it regardless.  I think it's important to come from a place of humility as cooks and a bit of compassion for us folks with sensitivities who have a hard time of it, sometimes.  Gluten-free baking is. quite frankly.  a bit of a chemistry experiment and this girl, is far better (and subsequently more comfortable) with the "right brain" sort of stuff.  But it was my kid's birthday and a big one at that (15! Yikes!) so I had to give it my best shot.

With no further ado and per you requests on facebook, I present to you the recipe for:

Trystan's Birthday Banana Chocolate Chunk Cake 
with Coconut Butter-Cream Frosting

Please forgive my rudimentary decorating skills. I wasn't even aware of  what I  was making until that morning.







Ingredients:

WET-
1 1/4 c mashed ripe organic bananas (about 3 medium sized)
1 c. maple syrup
Equivalent of 1 egg made with Ener-G egg replacer
2/3 c. vegan buttermilk (instructions below)
   -slightly less than 2/3 c. soymilk
   -3/4 tbsp. white vinegar
1/3 c. coconut oil
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar





DRY-
2 c. GF all purpose flour mix (recipe below)
1 c. of almond flour or 3/4 c. coconut flour
1 1/2 tsp xantham gum
3 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 c. Callebaut chocolate chunks 
1/4  c. unsweetened natural grated coconut (optional)

AND a little coconut oil.


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  
Lightly grease two 9 inch cake pans with the coconut oil and set aside.


Make the vegan buttermilk by pouring ¾ tbsp distilled white vinegar into a 2/3 cup measuring cup.  Pour soymilk over the vinegar to fill the 2/3 cup measuring cup.  Stir to mix and allow this mixture to cure for at least 10 minutes.




Mash your bananas and set aside.


I make up a batch and use the following gluten-free blend whenever a recipe calls for an all-purpose flour.  I have never to this day had any complications with using it.  
They didn't call Bette Hagman the Gluten-Free Gourmet for nothing!  She did so much as an advocate for those with gluten-intolerance.
HERE is a site with some other good ones I might play with.

3 c. rice flour (brown or white, I love sweet rice flour because it's super-fine)
1 c. potato starch (NOT potato flour)
1/2 c. tapioca starch
Mix well



Add all of the “dry” ingredients to a medium bowl and whisk to fully incorporate.  Set aside.


In a separate bowl combine all of the wet ingredients and whisk to fully incorporate.



Add your dry ingredients to your wet a cup or two at a time.  


Mix slowly until fully combined but do not overmix.






Gluten-free batter is sticky and thicker than a standard cake batter so you will need to work with it a bit to get it in the pans. 
I use a spatula (lightly greased if necessary) to spread it out evenly 


Woopsie! Forgot my chocolate chunks so I folded them in here and then spread out the batter.


 Bake for 35-45 minutes (mine took 40 minutes), turning half way through.

Now onto our frosting:
(adapted from "Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World" by two of my faves: 
Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero)

This frosting is a vegan version of a classic buttercream except that rather than use just a common soy or vegetable based margarine or shortening, we are going to use the awesome, decadent wonder that is COCONUT BUTTER!  Yummmmmy!



 I love this stuff!  And look how good for you it is!


Ingredients

½cup coconut butter (Coconut Manna)
½cup nonhydrogenated margarine
cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
tsp. vanilla extract
¼cup coconut or soy creamer
Beat the coconut butter and soy margarine together until well-combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes. Add the vanilla and creamer and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy.



Make sure to allow your cakes to cool completely . . .


AND frost away!





I covered mine with shaving from the chunks I still had left. 




And served it up with a side of vanilla soy ice cream.

Banana, chocolate, coco-nutty goodness!!!

The Birthday boy was pleased! heehee
(DISCLAIMER: not an actual photo from the event but I thought it fit. HAHA)

AND
~That makes this Mama happy!~




Love and light,

Amber




Comments

  1. Looks wonderful!
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks FringeGirl! Next time I'll have your wonderful vanilla to work with. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this cous!!!! and love the pic of Tryst!!! so him and so perfect! really turn it over in the pans??? Like if it was in a frying pan??? Looks absolutely AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts