Magical Make Believe Muffins






Intrigued? Kind of a crazy name for muffins, I know.  But I assure you there is a story behind these and I intend to fill you in.

First of all:
Those last three bananas of the bunch that linger a little too long on the kitchen island, everyone walking past them,  ignoring their presence, despite that they are in serious need of some attention?   Sound familiar?  You hate to see their nutritional value and sweetness go to waste.  So what to do?  Sure, you could always throw them in a banana bread, all too likely.  And, naturally, I admit, it was my first thought; only I think in muffin form, it's more fun and they make such a great quick breakfast and/or snack for the kiddos.

So, that's where it began but things took a turn when I realized I didn't have all of my ingredients and had to improvise.  And the banana bread muffins became these:





Don't look like much from the outside but what's inside is what counts.  ;)

Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease your muffin pan.

INGREDIENTS:
1 c. of gluten-free flour
1 c. of quinoa flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups (about 3 med. sized) very ripe bananas
Equivalent of 2 eggs (Ener-G egg replacer eggs, of course)
1/4 c. maple syrup
1/4 c. coconut oil
2-3 tbsp. of fresh pineapple juice
1-2 tbsp. of crushed pineapple chunks
1/2 c. chopped pecans
1/4 c. unsweetened coconut flakes

In a bowl, mix your dry ingredients (flours, salt and baking soda).

In a separate mixing bowl, mix your bananas, maple syrup, "eggs", and coconut oil.

At this point in my improvisation, I realized I lacked the necessary amount of maple syrup (recipe I was sort of following called for 3/4 cup), so in order to raise my liquid to dry quotient, I decided on the bit of pineapple juice and figured if in the end, my batter was still too thick, I would add in a bit of almond milk.  Which I suppose you could do (1 tablespoon at a time) if you run into that issue though the pineapple juice worked for me wonderfully.

So I grabbed a fistful of pineapple chunks and squeezed away.  You may opt for using the canned or jarred version.  heehee.
But regardless, in went the juice, followed by the chunks and your pecans and coconut.

Give your liquid ingredients one more quick mix and a bit at a time add in your flour mixture until all has been added.

Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
Fresh from the oven
Note: these are moist and heavier than the average muffin, so allow to sit for at least 10 minutes.







Well, that's it! 
Oh, except for I promised I would  explain why it is these muffins are called Make Believe muffins and why it is that they are so magical . . .

The story goes something like this:
While making them, my fifteen year old son came into the kitchen (snooping in the snack cabinet as fifteen year old boys do several times a day) and when he was unable to find something in there to suit his taste he became curious to see what it was I was making.  He asked and as I was busy, I tried to quickly explain:

ME-Muffins.  I had some bananas that needed to be used.
HIM- Oh.  So they're banana muffins?
ME-Well, yeah, kind of.  But there's lots of other stuff in there.  
HIM- Okay. Like what?
ME-Like coconut and pecans . . . and . . . threw some pineapple in there.  (With realization) Hey! They're  kinda Hawaiian muffins, huh?
HIM- So is that what they're called?
ME-I don't know!  Just made 'em up as I went along.
HIM-So they're "Make Believe" muffins, then.
ME-(Amused) Yeah, I guess.  But I can't call them that.  I gotta come up with a cool name for my blog post.   Maybe "Aloha: muffins or something.
HIM- Hmmm . . .
ME- No . . . Make Believe muffins IS good!  Because for us, eating them with all of their Aloha goodness, we can make believe we are there,  in Hawaii.  I love it!*






Mahalo Nui
ke aloha a me ka lama
(pronounced keh ah-LOH-hah ah meh kah lah-mah it means "the love and the light" )
Amber


*For those of you readers who are not aware: It is my dream, my aspiration, my very intention, that my family will be moving to Hawaii in the very near future.  You can read more about it HERE in this post.

Comments

Popular Posts