A Valentine's Day Brunch to Ap-peas-e Anyone (heehee)




Per requests made on our facebook page, I am here to share with you two recipes; both popular dishes that usually are made with animal products as their base.  Today's post will feature one of them and I will be featuring the other in an additional post next week (so be sure to check back).


For Valentine's Day this year, my hubby and I decided to stay in and make it more of a day to celebrate as a family; in the spirit of Love-A-Lot Day, a family holiday instituted by Mell when we were little.
(Intrigued? Click on the word Love-A-Lot to find out a little more about our special holiday).

We decided (very last minute) on a brunch sort of theme.  In the main dish position?

"Eggs" Benedict-Florentine



The focal point of this dish, the one thing that really makes it, is hands-down, the:

~Hollandaise~

Usually made with egg yolk and lots and lots of butter, this vegan variation starts out with the same base I use for my cheezy sauce. 

INGREDIENTS 
(NOTE: I usually double this recipe just because I love to have extra for the next day)



3 tbsp vegan margarine
2 tbsp gluten-free flour
pinch of turmeric (for that rich beautiful yellow color)
1 cup soy (or almond) milk 
2 tbsp. of nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp each of garlic powder, onion powder
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper to taste


In a medium-sized saucepan, melt your margarine over medium high heat. When fully metlted and starting to boil, whisk in your flour until you reach paste consistency. Turn down your heat to low.  Throw in your pinch of turmeric then slowly whisk in your milk a bit at a time, continuing to allow the mixture to thicken and bubble (for about 2-3 minutes.  Remove from the heat and whisk in nutritional yeast (I tend to be a bit liberal with my measurement, a little extra only makes it tastier, in my opinion) and your seasonings.
Your sauce will appear to be too thick but once you add the lemon juice in, it will thin out a bit. 

Use immediately or set aside for later.  When you need to warm up your Hollandaise sauce, simply add in a little extra milk (a tablespoon at a time) until it reaches the desired consistency.

As for the rest of the ingredients/steps that go into making the Eggs Benedict-Florentine:

"Eggs" Benedict-Florentine served on gluten-free french bread and with a beautiful raw strawberry and blood orange salad topped with pecans, coconut shaving and a light drizzle of raw agave nectar.

~I used pan-fried tofu (lightly seasoned with salt/pepper) and coated in nutritional yeast to replace the eggs.
~ Homemade tempeh bacon to replace the ham
~Hollandaise spread atop your bread or english muffin AND poured atop the fixings
~Lightly wilted spinach between the layers and a bit on top for garnish (see photos above)
~Fresh diced chives and (sweet) tarragon are my favorite of garnishes
~As side dishes, I recommend: oven fries (regular or sweet potato) and a fresh fruit salad.

*If you would like to see recipes for any of the items mentioned above (tempeh bacon, anyone?), please feel free to leave a request in the comments section and I will get to it as soon as possible.


UP NEXT: 

a vegan substitute for condensed milk to be featured in a recipe for my newest favorite of decadent treats:
~Ginger Snap Cookie Bars~

Until then, my friends:
Love and Light
AMBER






 

Comments

Popular Posts