Vegan Chicken (Seitan) Pot Pie



This year we decided to create a non-traditional Christmas dinner.  For months, I've been dreaming up a mock chicken pot pie puff pastry.  So when I came upon a lonesome puff pastry package at the supermarket, I scooped it up knowing what I would make for our Christmas dinner..... My idea was to make individual turn-overs.  I didn't realize it was not my usual puff pastry sheets but six puff discs... so as usual, I improvised and this was how the experiment played out.... and it was a success! 

Before I started, I put about ten cubed red potatoes to boil and separately a bulb of garlic (top sliced off, drizzled in oil & wrapped in foil) in a 450 degree oven for 35 minutes. This way I could drain & mash the potatoes with the garlic & Earth Balance (margarine) just before serving.  It's the perfect side for this mock pot pie.


Saute til soft:
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 onion chopped
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1-2 tsp chopped garlic
1/2 tsp rubbed sage
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp basil

Add & sauté til heated:
12 oz package organic vegetable mix (corn, pea, carrot, green bean)
that had been set on the counter to thaw out
8 oz seitan strips or chunks



Add & continue sauté 3-5 minutes:
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup semolina flour
(I like the texture semolina creates, any flour would work)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast


Add, stirring to combine & cook down for approximately 15 minutes or so:
1/2 cup Medeira or Marsala wine
2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 tsp salt



Once thick enough, pour contents into greased pyrex and top with six puff pastry shells.  


Bake in 450 degree oven for 12-15 minutes and browned on top.  Serve with garlic mashed potatoes or your favorite side!
Enjoy!

Happy Holidays from the Peas to you!
In Light and Love,
Mell


Comments

Popular Posts