Cravings and Comfort Food: VEGAN Style

I've said it before and it's a commonly known truth that there are many different reasons that individuals come to the life of veganism. Some are born into it and know nothing else, for some it is a matter of health, others, a matter of ethics and for some it is a matter of all of those things.  But regardless, this truth holds clear: that for many, 
food is not just simply food, a means of sustenance, but rather a means of comfort, and in most cultures, in some way or another, a means to show love.  

For those of us, who are new on the path or still finding our way, I find there are certain dishes that we struggle with letting go of.  
What Italian mama doesn't wanna make sure her boy is stuffed good with the good stuff,a heaping plate of spaghetti and meatballs?  
Or when we've had a bad day, who of us doesn't find comfort in a bit of junk food?  

I wish I could say I'm the exception but I'm not.  Though I can say that the longer I am on this path, the easier it gets, there are definitely those days when a craving strikes.  This is where I a proud to say that my creativity has come in quite handy and one of the many reasons, I thought this blog would be a great idea.

With that in mind, I created a recipe the other night that I would like to share with you. It is my version of one of my favorite dishes from so long ago from one of my favorite places.  Something I have found since becoming vegan is that most of these great tasting dishes that we love (and miss) so much are tasty not because they are made with meat and/or dairy products but simply because of the way the dish is flavored.  Most chicken dishes can easily be replaced with tofu.  When marinated or cooked in the same seasonings it still tastes just as good, if not better.  That was definitely the case with this dish.  It was, I am proud to say, knockout good!!  My husband was sorely disappointed to learn that there wasn't enough for seconds.  heehee
With that in mind, I present to you:

Scallopine Piccata




I started with my sauce since I didn't know how long cooking the tofu would take me and didn't want my cutlets to get cold.

This sauce is what totally makes this dish! 


1/2 c. of vegan chicken broth
1/4 c. white wine
2-3 tbsp. of lemon juice (according to taste)
3 tbsp. of vegan margarine
4 tsp. of capers

Traditional recipes for Piccata call for chicken broth and butter but I was able to substitute rather successfully and with only a couple minor modifications.  I opted for White Zinfandel to replace the dry white  wine recommended for the simple fact that I wanted to be able to enjoy a glass with my dinner. ;)

In a saucepan bring your broth to a boil and pour in your wine and lemon juice. Stir vigorously as it continues to boil until it starts to reduce some.  This took mere minutes for me but I was using my power burner.  Turn off your burner and set the liquid mixture aside.  This is only step one of the process.  We will come back to it once we have our cutlets prepared.

Standard technique for scallopine requires that the cutlet be pounded thin: a step we can forgo when you're working with tofu.  I simply cut my tofu as thin as I could. 


Then I gently doused the "cutlets" in a rice flour blend of Mochi flour lightly seasoned with garlic powder, onion powder and sea salt.

Fry the cutlets in a thin layer of oil in a heavy pan until golden brown, flipping it often to prevent sticking and/or burning. 



Now they are ready for "saucing".  I found I had to work fast in preparing my sauce so as not to let the cutlets get too cool.  That's why I am recommending you get your sauce at least started beforehand. 
And I wouldn't recommend stacking them on top of each other either as they will stick a bit to each other.  

Back to our glorious sauce . . .

Return the liquid mixture back to a rolling boil and add in your margarine.  Continue to cook until your sauce changes color from a clear yellow to more of a light brown, then toss in your capers.  Cook for just about a minute more.
  

At this point, I found that because this sauce is missing the fat quotient you would get with real butter, it was necessary to thicken the sauce a bit.  I removed a tablespoon or two of the hot liquid and placed in a small bowl with a tablespoon of corn starch, whisked to dissolve and returned the mixture to my pan.  A few more whisks of my whisk (heehee) and the sauce was slightly thickened to perfection.



I poured it immediately over my cutlets to allow all  of that delicious flavor to permeate while I quickly threw together a side salad.


Glorious greens from my garden! LOVE it!! Tossed in some finely sliced sweet onion and tossed with a sweet rasberry balsamic vinegarette* (to balance out the sour of the lemon).



I also thought a wild rice blend would be a nice accompaniment.  Empty plates wiped clean was a sure sign that everyone agreed.  
This dish was a yummy surprise! I hope you feel the same and if you share the same cravings, it satisfies yours as much as it did mine.

(or maybe it's the same as my husband's.  Check out our facebook page here.)

As always . . . 

Love and light,

Amber

* Recipe for Rasberry Balsamic Vinegarette:
1/8 c. of rasberry balsamic vinegar
1/8 c. of olive oil
1-2 tsp. of agave syrup
1/4 c. of filtered water
dash of sea salt


Comments

Popular Posts