Some Men are Vegans too
...let's break the myth that it's a chick thang!!

It's interesting that when I went vegan in my twenties I just kind of accepted that it was a female thing.... part of the hippy chick domestic thing... trying to keep our families healthy, saving the planet, recycling, supporting my local farmer's market growers and all.... with the lack of spousal support I wandered away over the years and went back to the junk food American diet (while watching my health decline from doing such) but still always leaned heavily on my veggies....


 Life is Growth and Life is Change!

In my forties, I am blessed to have come full circle and back to my roots, so to speak. 
For me, being vegan has been for my health.... for others its much deeper.... I appreciate these deeper meanings that others hold... but for me it's still about my health...

During this last year, I reunited with my junior high school sweetheart... turns out he is vegan... for reasons of compassion and health for the planet, animals and humans... for him it is ethical and spiritual.... how can I not find that endearing??
Too easy for me to go back to eating healthy, the yummy food that I love!!
The Italian in me LOVES to feed people.... but it is Awesome to have a Vegan Man enthusiastically want to prepare healthy cuisine for me after a long day at work...

He has introduced me to the world of being a Vegan Man... the challenges it brings to his every day life where men are expected to prove their virility thru killing and meat consumption.... how the simple task of just sustaining yourself with nourishment is a challenge in the man's world of secular activities, functions and what not...
the business power lunches... the meeting with client lunches.... the having to travel to states where they don't even know what vegan is... let alone have a health food store....  the jokes, the making fun, the hasstle that these men get from their peers...
its really surprising and something us ladies don't often consider....

I'm here to tell you that its actually incredibly surprising to see the vegan world from a man's perspective... I believe it takes great strength and compassion for a man to be vegan.... did you know that these men are vegan??? Heavyweight champion Mike Tyson, body builder Robert Cheeke, IMMA fighter Mac Danzing, NBA star John Salley.... and so many others.... these men are tough and buff... vegan men are wussies???

I CERTAINLY DON'T THINK SO!!


It is with this foundation that I am proud to present our featured guest...
Brad Pauley, VEGAN MAN....


and his recipe for
"THREE SISTERS" ENCHILADAS
(three sisters as in new mexican: corn, beans & squash)



Saute til soft & aromatic:
1 tsp chopped garlic
1/2 chopped brown onion
1 small 4oz. can green chilies (Hatch brand from new mexico)
1 1/2 Tbsp safflower oil



chop:
1 zucchini
1 yellow summer squash (aka crookneck)



Add squash to the saute and cook til soft....

Ingredients to gather:
1 can Eden Organic Pinto Beans (BPA FREE)
2 cans Hatch Red Enchilada Sauce
corn tortillas
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp sea salt

2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro


1/2 bag Organic Super Sweet Cut Corn



From your gathered ingredients add to the saute:
drained & rinsed pinto beans
chili powder
cumin
salt
cilantro
corn
  and saute til tender....


You will also need 9x13" cassarole pan and Daiya mock mozzarella cheese....
I failed to photograph the whole process of my Male Vegan Chef (I somehow lost sight of photojournaling with the ymmmy smells, wine and good conversation)
but here is his process:
pour room temperature enchilada sauce into bottom of cassarole dish
briefly heat corn tortillas on stove burner to make soft and pliable
then add filling and roll and line into cassarole dish of sauce
topping with more enchilada sauce and vegan cheese
Bake @350 for 25minutes or until bubbly and cheese melted


Plated with sliced avocado, organic sliced tomato and topped with
Trader Joe's Tomato-less Corn Salsa 

OMG!!! SOOOO YUM!!!
(even as leftovers!)

So on my journey... here is my salute to VEGAN MEN and their manly brave trek against meatheads in their concrete jungle of suits!!!  So much strength wrapped in compassion!

I must also plug male vegan support blog: http://veganman.net/

Happy Healthy Eating!
Light and Love,
~Mell

Comments

Popular Posts