Summer Garden Kale Salad (RAW)



This salad recipe is created by the blending of two separate recipes. The technique for preparing your kale is from the Cookie & Kate blog while the inspiration for the dressing came from a recipe shared at last year's Vegetarian Summerfest. 
This was my first real experience with creating with RAW kale straight out of my garden and this salad was so delicious we were all fighting over the last little bit. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!


This salad truly was created from foraging in my garden . . .


First step was a trip to my organic lettuce bed


I gathered about the equivalent of one large head though you could certainly use as much as two heads.



First remove the tough kale stems from the leaves. I simply tear the leaves away from the stems, but you may also cut them out with a knife.
Then further tear/shred or cut the leaves into very small bite sized pieces.

Next I prepared the dressing . . .
Blend all of the following ingredients for the dressing in a blender or food processor:

1/2 cup raw almond butter
1/4 cup raw tahini
1 cup coconut water
1/4 c. fresh lime or lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic
Fresh ginger, peeled and grated about 2-3 tbsp.
2 tbsp. low sodium tamari
4 pitted dates (soaked in water if not soft) cut into bite sized pieces
1/4-1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes


Now comes, a special process, to prepare the kale and bring out it's flavor.


Use your hands to massage the kale



Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt over the kale and scrunch the kale in your hands, release and repeat until the kale becomes uniformly darker in color. 
Don't worry! I assure you that the kale can take the abuse. This process simply breaks down the kale and improves the taste.


Your amount of kale will diminish a bit and though there was still plenty . . .


I decided to make another trek out to the garden for some more filler.
I shredded some more salad greens into the mix, peeled the carrots, and . . .


then added in some raw sweet peppers that I had in the fridge.


Massage with the dressing and let sit for 5-15 minutes. Top with raw seeds or nuts* before serving and then all that's left is to enjoy this scrumptious taste of summer whole food goodness!

*I used both sunflower seeds and almonds but also wished I had some black sesame seeds.


This was such a delicious treat, I will definitely be making it again!  
We look forward to hearing how much you enjoy it, as well.  Visit us on our facebook page and share away!
Or if there are any yummy alterations you make, please share that with us, too. 




Love and light,

Amber

Comments

Popular Posts